The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Car Divorce Saga

Well, I'm finding that in the U.S.--it is not so easy to "give up your car"---meaning it is not hard to quit using the car--but then actually getting rid of it is another hassle. So, in July--when I got the DMV notice to renew my auto tags, I just thought--"oh Great! I no longer have to pay for these!" oh-oh..think again! turns out in order to sell my car, I must have current tags (darn!) and now that I let them lapse--it will cost me even more to renew them (double darn!).
And before I can sell the car--unless I decide to sell it "as is" I have to clean the car, go get the new tags...write an ad, and so on..I just want to be done with it all! At this point, I am considering donating the car to a charity just to get rid of it.

On the bright side, I am finding that being forced to walk more, take the bus more, and riding my bike more is opening up new vistas for me. I find I love people watching on the bus, and walking has so many benefits! I find myself enjoying all my neighbors gardens and flowers more, and walking is a great way to do some thinking---to have that quiet time to just day dream...so the decision to give up my car has proved to not only be a benefit to our Earth, but a great boon to me also. I have found this to be generally true---when you sacrifice to better the world, your action usually comes back to you in a positive way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to mention that once you have gone without your car for a while you will realize that you are making more conscious decisions about when and where you go about. A more conscious life is always the best way to go. Making the conscious decision to let go of the car was a great step! Now if only you had just finished with it right away....