The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Friday, August 25, 2006

In Praise of Needlework Groups



Women have a very long history of coming gathering together to do needlework---from spinning yarn in the middle ages to the quilting bee in the 1800's to contemporary "stitch & bitch" groups---women are still coming together to do needlework and visit. About a year ago--at the urging of a women friend, I started a Needlework Salon in my home. At the first event, several women I had never met showed up--invited by women I did know--and we all pulled out our knitting, beadwork, crocheting, or embroidery; I had hot tea and a nice teacake for refreshments, and we proceeded to get acquainted. Our Salons have evolved from just visiting to each women telling her life story, or one of us reading poetry out loud while the others stitch or knit. Sometime bearing witness to another's story is healing for her; sometimes just sitting and knitting with a friendly group for 3 or 4 hours lightens the spirit, and we all enjoy the poetry. I know this experience is not unique to our group--there are many such groups meeting all over the world---but taking part in this Salon once a month re-enforces my belief that artist and craftpersons are an important aspect of our culture. Not only are we creating practical crafts, but we are building a community of friends--and we live in a large metropolis where making new friends is not easy. Previous to starting this group, I had tried going to a group at the closest knitting store--but found the atmosphere not very welcoming; perhaps this is because knitting stores have a an agenda when they offer to host such a group--they want to sell yarn, and this commercial aspect hinders the fostering of a congenial community. Besides, since the Needlework Salon is in my home--it is a chance to enjoy using the China teacups inherited from my Mother, and enjoy the baked goodies or in season fruit brought by various needleworkers. I have lived in only 5 towns in my adult life--and in 4 of them, I belonged to a similar needlework group---which reminds me that this tradition is enduring--I can easily envison future generations sitting with their women friends as they knit and visit.....

No comments: