The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Practicing Gratitude

"Gratitude for the gift of life is the primary wellspring of all religions, the hallmark of the mystic, the source of all true art....It is a privilege to be alive in this time when we can choose to take part in the self-healing of our world."
----Joanna Macy

I found myself thinking about gratitude this morning, and then came across this quote. Suddenly, I had a different way to look at our Climate Crisis---perhaps I am living now because I am the type of human which will put great effort into changing our culture and healing the planet? I know that I feel gratitude on a dialy basis for a lovley home to live in ( and all paid for) and my fairly good health (with some arthritis), and my family and friends. And when I was kayaking in the wilderness of Alaska, I felt gratitude that we have such magical wilderness in our country, and grateful for the ability to visit and camp there.

I find it easy to go about my daily life--with all the tasks I must do to keep our household running smoothly, and I forget to be grateful. In fact, somedays I start to think that I don't have enough!--you know--that old advertising mantra: not enough time, enough money, enough sleep or whatever...our culture bombards us daily with messages which tell us we don't have enough. I find I must make a real effort to not fall into that type of thinking. In reality, I know I have too much--too much stuff, and enough time---so practicing gratefullness for all I do have is a daily necessity, lest I begin to feel deprived (like the advertising world wants me--and all of us to feel--deprived, so we will buy more), and then unhappy. Ah! happiness--that is a whole other topic....I will just leave it at that: practicing gratefullness each day keeps me happy, how about you ?

No comments: