The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Monday, September 18, 2006

Never too many buttons


You never can have too many vintage buttons. When I was a little girl one of my favorite activities was to vist my Grandma and play with her "button box"---her button box was a lovely old candy tin, full of wonderful mother-of-pearl buttons, and sparkley buttons, and buttons of all sorts of color. At first, I just sorted the buttons--but when I got a little older, Gram showed me how to sew buttons onto scraps of fabric--and my obsession with both hand sewing and buttons was born. Lately, I just cannot visit a Thrift Shop or Flea Market without buying a few vintage buttons...I was blessed to inherit my Mom's (& Grandmother's) button box, and also my boyfriend's Mother's button box...between the two, I have a lovely collection of old Mother-of-Pearl Buttons, and these old vintage colored ones...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, Aurora-
ah yes, I fondly remember the many hours I spent playing with,organizing,making designs, and just running my fingers through buttons in my mom's button box. She still has it, for the great grandkids & an occasional button replacement. I hope I inherit it, but I do have 4 sisters that might also have the same desire!