The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Monday, February 11, 2008

Biblio-fun @ the Book Fair

papercut from the 19th century from the ephemera dealers ECLECTIBLES from Tolland, CT

I took my digital point-and-shoot camera to the San Francisco Antiquarian Book, Print, and Paper Fair this weekend ---and I just wandered around the Fair taking some photos of images that I thought were interesting. This Book Fair--as the title suggests---is so much more than just books! The artist/craftswomen part of me loves all the wonderful images at this Fair---from old maps, to gorgeous botanical prints, to illuminated manuscripts, to vintage valentines---this Fair has all of these and more.

I fell in love with these hand-drawn paperdolls from the 1950's---so quirky, with handlettered notes, and an "outsider art" type of appeal...also from ECLECTIBLES booth.

More movable ephemera from the ECLECTIBLES

and from ANTIQUARIAT BOTANICUM ---located in Lydnen, Washington --a lovely image from a BOOK OF PEONIES


plus, some lovely bindings from Turtle Island Books, Berkeley, Ca --the booth where I was working....why don't they make hardbacks with these lovely bindings now?



Here is a partial shot of Serendipity Books booth---a Berkeley landmark bookshop on University Ave.


There were many posters and vintage photos --like this one of poet Allen Ginsberg that Serendipity Books had for sale.


And original paintings...this one from Serendipity Books...I thought the folk art style in this painting was intriguing.



More ephemera---(and oops! I'm not sure whose booth this was)--but you can get a notion of how much paper ephemera treasures there were to look at...if you like ephemera and vintage paper, or old trade cards, greeting cards, or postcards--you might check out the Ephemera Society of America's website.


Cobblestone Books from Sacramento, Ca had a trunk full of colorful vintage OZ books...(when I was child in the '50's I read every Oz book our local library had in stock--about 20 of them)


and some lovely lurid dime mystery magazines....


There were numerous antique maps, both large and small.......these ones from Alexandre Antique Prints, Maps & Books from Toronto, Cananda




and rare maps in books....this one from Antiquariaat FORUM from the Netherlands. This map is from a Folio --GEOGRAPHIA by Claudius PTOLEMAEUS, published in 1490. "One of the most important early editions of the world-famous atlas, based on Ptolemy's description of the world..."

Walking through the Book Fair and looking at historical treasures like this---is a stroll through history...one I never tire of. I am acutely aware I have the privilege of looking at museum quality books that are truly "rare."

Then we have the illuminated books and manuscripts--my most favorite part! This book from Phillip J. Pirages of McMinnville, Oregon.

He also has numerous illuminated vellum manuscript leafs....


and lastly, these "fine bindings" ---also from Phillip Pirages




I hope this has been a visual feast for you--blog reader! like the past weekend was for me...

2 comments:

jgodsey said...

great pictures!

trisha too said...

It's so much fun to accidentally
find a great blog!

You're a woman after my own heart--the books, the repurposed thrift store sweater, the arts--it's all wonderful, thank you for sharing!