The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Friday, November 07, 2008

Crafting it Forward : Make New Knitters

How much about knitting, crocheting, beadwork and quilting have you learned from fellow crafters? I learned to knit from my Grandma, and ever since I have been CRAFTING IT FORWARD.....like the concept of Pay It Forward...crafting it forward means to teach others what you know, so they can then teach others...and the traditions and stitches of knitting (or whatever art/craft you are doing) get passed down generation to generation.

Benjamin Franklin championed this notion (only his involved $ or debt) , he wrote: " I do not pretend to give such a Sum; I only lend it to you. When you [...] meet with another honest Man in similar Distress, you must pay me by lending this Sum to him; enjoining him to discharge the Debt by a like operation, when he shall be able, and shall meet with another opportunity. I hope it may thus go thro' many hands, before it meets with a Knave that will stop its Progress. This is a trick of mine for doing a deal of good with a little money."

And I first was introduced to this concept through the film Pay It Forward where the concept was " described as an obligation to do three good deeds for others in repayment of a good deed that one receives. Such good deeds should be things that the other person cannot accomplish on their own, and the person doing the good deed then asks the other to pay it forward. In this way, the need to help one another can spread exponentially through society creating a social movement with the goal of making the world a better place."

I do believe sharing what we know and/or our skills can help the world become a better place. I taught one of my daughter's to knit, and hopefully--since I will be living in the same town as her soon--I will teach my other daughter to knit, also. I will certainly teach my Grandson when he is old enough--age 6 or 7 is a good time to start, I think. I have found that if you knit around them---- small children will invariably want to try it.

I love this aspect of knitting groups--everyone is always willing to help others learn how to do something new in a knitting group, and I have certain knitting friends who I turn to when I need something demonstrated--since they are more expert than I am.

Today's Quote: " Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend." ---Albert Camus


5 comments:

Lisa said...

How fun to meet another blogwoman who's a fan of Benjamin Franklin! I love anyone who can use the word 'knave' naturally in a sentence.

I like your tutorial too. Very cool to craft it forward.

Serena Lewis said...

benjamin franklin was an amazing man with some great philosophies.

i loved the pay it forward movie and the concept behind it. who knows what lives are touched by people who follow through with this concept.

i used to knit a lot but haven't for ages now. i did teach my son, aaron, how to do french knitting recently and he had fun with that.

enjoy your 'soul' day,
serena

Genie Sea said...

Benjamin Franklin was one of those complete, authentic souls. Knitting is truly a meditative process! Thank you for the step by step. Maybe one day, I will get over my knittophobia. (I made that up! heh) :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful concept. One that we can apply to everything. The more we give away the more we have of it.
What a beautiful thought to apply in to your knitting.

EmandaJ said...

Hello Aurora,

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I enjoy your reflections. I've been lurking and following your blog for a while now.

Emanda at artemisiastudio.blogspot.com