The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Friday, February 27, 2009

African Travels on the Horizon


In few days I am off for a 3 week trip to Ghana. We are staying our first stop---Accra--- in the Hotel Treasureland, which I must say looks quite deluxe! Just in case you might be wondering, dear reader, how and why I am on this trip--it is all because of my long-time friend Shirley Mae Springer Staten. Shirley is an international keynoter, singer and workshop facilitator--who--like no one else I know--can magically weave words and music to empower her audience for change.

Shirley called me awhile ago from her home in Anchorage, Alaska and asked me if I wanted to go to Africa with her? Since I was unemployed I told her I would think about the trip, but it didn't take me long to decide. Shirley is taking a group of young people from the Anchorage from the program she coordinates--the Anchorage Home Based After School Program. Two years ago, the students in this program asked Shirley if she would take them to Africa--she said, "Yes, if you raise the money." Well, these young people proceeded to raise half of the money and Shirley--in typical Shirley Mae fashion--- wrote and obtained grants for the rest of the money. Then she asked several adult friends to accompany the group, and I was one of the lucky ones she asked. The students are aged 10 to 14 years, and in their program they have recently written, illustrated and published a book, MAGICAL MASKS, to take and share with students from Ghana.

This is the third group trip to a far away country I have taken with Shirley Mae--always great adventures---so I know this trip will prove to be stimulating and educational. We are visiting schools, the University of Ghana, an orphanage/school, trekking in Mole National Park, and much more--quite a full itinerary. I am hoping to find the time and a computer to post a few blog posts here--so do check back to follow our trip.

1 comment:

Mary Timme said...

How cool is this? Oh, what fun you'll have!