The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Friday, April 24, 2009

Re-purposed sweaters baby blankie


I have been rather absent here as I hunt for a job---which, ironically, is a full time job--but now I think it is time to move on from my life transforming trip to Ghana, Africa and return to the main blog topic: creating crafty objects and art !

I have a special baby shower to attend this weekend and created several presents for the baby girl due to enter the world in June...first, I created a baby "blankie" intended for laying on the floor for the tiny baby to lie on and have "tummy time." This blankie is made of wool sweaters I felted (washing with soap or detergent and hot water in the machine, then drying in a hot dryer--felts a wool sweater up nicely)--then I cut squares, sewed them together---and since I thought the little "quilt" looked a bit plain--I used some wool crewel yarn to embroider flowers on some squares. The blankie is backed with colorful cotton flannel.


And I knit a little baby girl hat out of cottons...in spring colors.

Even though I have been absent here I have been busy creating more crafty objects--so will be returning to more regular blogging --and I have quite a bit to share with you! so do check back...

2 comments:

dacg said...

I love your Blog and have followed because of your wonderful trip to Africa..I had just started blogging when I found yours.

They are just talented artisan's and I love the wonderful colors of the fabric.

I had fun looking at your pics...

Darla

Tabitha the KnittingJourneyman said...

I love that blanket-and such a great hat too. Looking forward to seeing more...