The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Monday, October 01, 2007

Sweaters "Repurposed" into handbag


I buy wool sweaters at thrift stores or garage sales--throw them in the washing machine and dryer---shrink them to the max--and then have nice, heavy wool felt to create handbags with. This bag is large--I wanted a bag I could carry all my usual purse detritus and a knitting project and a small sketchbook and maybe even a paperback book to read. Seems I'm spending quite a bit of time lately on the bus or BART, and since I like to knit or read while I travel, and needed a roomy bag that would carry everything. On this bag I also created a large closing flap on the front---and sewed on crocheted granny square (from another unfinished project.) I used the buttonholes from the sweater on the lower flap edge as a closure. The handle I made out of strips I cut from the sleeves of the sweater--then I braided the strips---this makes a nice sturdy handle.



And I lined the bag--isn't this fun lining material? I thought this fabric complimented the greenish tweedy wool nicely---and I also made some functional pockets inside for keys and cellphone---the two items I am always digging around in the bottom of my bag for. Took this bag out for a spin today and she got her first compliment!

5 comments:

DAWN said...

I love that bag, very very cool.

Anonymous said...

Excellent bag!

alligator said...

This bag came out great! I love the colors and especially the Granny Square. It looks like the perfect cozy fall bag for carrying books and projects in!

Kate said...

Yummy bag! Lovely lining. Just love it!

inkberryblue said...

How gorgeous!
I love the lining, the slouchy shape and that cute granny square.
=]