The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Monday, August 09, 2010

Happy 100th Birthday Elizabeth Zimmerman!

 "Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises.” - Elizabeth Zimmermann, Knitting Without Tears

Elizabeth Zimmermann was born 100 years ago today, and her words, craft, and legacy have meant much to me over the years. The very first sweater I knit was from her book KNITTING WITHOUT TEARS in about 1978....I still have this book and it is still in print.

I am currently knitting on a red vest....pattern from the book Folk Vests. The yarn is a lovley wool and silk blend. I guess I credit Elizabeth Zimmerman for teaching me how to persevere as a knitter. Her books helped me to confidently knit through many a long cold Alaskan winter night back in the 1970's and '80's. I am so pleased her legacy lives on and so many knitters today still embrace her books and patterns. I always wished I could have met her.

Photo of red vest coming soon...as soon as I get some batteries for my camera! Living in the remote Alaskan bush does have some disadvantages if you run out of some needed supply ---- but the proximity to true wilderness makes up for the lack of modern consumer stuff. Guess I will go for a walk in the woods now--who knows? maybe I will see a brown bear....

No comments: