The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Friday, May 06, 2011

Mother's Day Tribute

On this Mother's Day---I want to pay tribute to my Mom---Elizabeth Ellen Nordling Harris, otherwise known as Betty Harris. I was surprised to find the above photo among my Mother's pictures after she passed---partly because I never remember her knitting at all and partly because I do remember my Grandma (her mother) teaching me to knit. Then I realized---it was Gram (my Grandmother) who probably took this picture because it is a polaroid and she was the one who had the polaroid camera....and she isn't in this picture--but my Mom and my (Great) Aunt Esther are...so if course she was behind the camera. I was 8 years old in this picture and I have been knitting every since.

But knitting wasn't all my Mother taught me...I think the most important thing she taught me was to help others...and to volunteer and give back to your community. My Mom's house was the kind of home that took in others in need, that helped the elderly neighbors, and since she had an amazing flower garden--she was always giving away cut flowers and plants.

From my Mom I learned that what you put out into the universe comes back to you--if you have a generous spirit, then the universe is generous with you...if you are a miser--well--then look out! you get what you give. But I also learned that it is good to give to others without expecting anything in return.

And lastly, I learned about gardening and growing food and flowers from my Mom. To this day, I never weed without thinking of her. But learning to garden was also about generously putting energy into the Earth--so she would give back to us yummy veggies and berries to eat. For all this, I give thanks for my Mom today and pay tribute to all the Mothers I know.

If I had a flower for every time I thought of my Mother--I would have acres of flower gardens.....

No comments: