The ruminations of an artist on art & life...art quilts, beading, knitting, drawing, painting, printmaking, bookmaking are all my passions, I love to explore creating....

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Why I BLOG

Thanks to a thought provoking post on Sharon B's blog In A Minute Ago (one blog I read daily)----during the past few days I have been pondering the focus of my blog, and I realized I have been writing less, and just showing more photos of my crafts. This led me to wonder: what makes an interesting blog? what do I like about the blogs I read everyday? and what is the goal of my blogging?

I like a blog with both content and inspiring and beautiful images or photos.

1) I tend to read blogs I know will have links to other blogs with interesting content, craft tutorials, or art (In a Minute Ago, Art for Housewives, Whip Up, The Purl Bee)

2) I also like blogs--with good photography--that highlight design trends. (Design Sponge, Print and Pattern)

3) I enjoy blogs that are humorous and write about crafts ( Yarn Harlot) or show their craft process (The Lone Beader, Yarnstorm)

4) I read every post of one writer's blog--37 Days, and always check out the premier blog about bookselling--- Bibliophile Bullpen.

5) I really like a blog that posts a new entry everyday--like both In A Minute Ago or Whip Up do.

So--why do I blog? what is the reward for me? One reward has been all the new artists I "meet" (virtually) who leave a comment on my blog. And I must admit, I find the admiring and encouraging comments folks leave about my art and crafted items to be a boost to my creativity. Especially in the winter, I tend to just stay at home and create all sorts of crafty items in my studio---and so don't get much feedback on what I create---until I photograph my latest creation and upload it to my blog--then I almost always get a reaction or a comment or two. I also like the sense I get that someone is listening when I write---or that I do have an audience for my creations. So, I suppose blogging --for me--is also about connections between people on a global scale.

I love that I can write ---from my home--- and people from all over the world can stumble upon my blog, and then by reading my blog, become acquainted with me and what I create.

Sharon B says about her blogging "From my own point view I think the goal of a blog has to be bigger than just recording my life or promoting my work." I suppose the goals for me--at this point--(I did not start out with these goals in mind, and this could certainly change) are : to promote connection and friendship between artists and crafters, to use my art to critique our culture, and to promote respect for our Mother Earth.

TODAYS QUOTE:
"Friendship exists outside our modern economy of scarcity... It's not about apportioning vanishing resources of time and energy. Friendship is a blessed relic of the ancient economy of the gift, and the time freely given to people dear to you actually creates magical abundance." ----VICTOR HUGO

5 comments:

Mary Timme said...

Yeah! That covers a lot of it! Connections are the best!

sharonb said...

Great post - yes connections are important but I have been thinking further on this and I think in part what drives me is that I enjoy making interests like needlework more visable. Rather than something done at home where only the family see what is made. I am not sure what I am quite driving at here as I am still forming my thoughts but it does have something to so with highlighting the fact that these activities have very real meanings for many people

jafabrit said...

I don't remember how I came across your blog, google blog search I think, but your post resonated with me. I like a nice mix of artwork, text, and links. I enjoyed exploring your blog and seeing the range of work you do :)

The Lone Beader® said...

You and I blog for many of the same reasons! Also, thanks for mentioning me:)

Susan Schwake said...

great post and ever so true!